Brazil & Africa: fighting poverty and empowering women via South–South cooperation—Outcome 1
Due to the Centre’s expertise as a global forum for South–South dialogue on innovative development policies, the United Kingdom Department for International Development (DFID) has contracted the IPC-IG to carry out the implementation of outcome 1 of the project ‘Brazil & Africa: fighting poverty and empowering women via South–South Cooperation’. Outcome 1 is titled ‘Increased and improved knowledge-sharing and learning in African Low-Income Countries (LICs) on the design and implementation of social development/social protection programmes inspired by relevant Brazilian public policies, experiences and practices, contributing to the overarching goal of poverty eradication’. It focused on producing knowledge related to social protection and gender issues, aimed at Brazilian and African policymakers and practitioners, and on promoting knowledge-sharing among them.
Other Thematic Areas
Sustainable Development Goals
In 2017 the project reached its final stage, and the Centre delivered the following results:
• Production of a special edition of the Policy in Focus magazine, titled ‘Social Protection: towards gender equality’, covering key topics related to gender equality and social protection. It featured a wide range of contributions from women policy practitioners and scholars, presenting case studies and reflections from Brazil and various African countries.
• Organisation of the official launch event of the Policy in Focus issue ‘Social Protection: towards gender equality’ to commemorate International Women’s Day 2017. The Centre, in partnership with the British Embassy and DFID, organised the event in Brasília on 7 March 2017, which brought together senior officials from the Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Ministério das Relações Exteriores—MRE) and the Brazilian Cooperation Agency (Agência Brasileira de Cooperação—ABC)
• Organisation of the seminar ‘Innovative Partnerships in Social Protection, Food and Nutrition Security and Gender: Mozambique, Brazil, UN and DFID’, in partnership with the governments of Brazil and Mozambique, DFID, the WFP, the UNDP, UN Women and the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA). Held in Maputo, Mozambique, on 3–4 May 2017, the seminar gathered an audience of public policy managers and operators of South–South cooperation projects in Brazil and Mozambique, as well as international institutions
• Publication of the Progress Report on the implementation of Outcome 1 of the project ‘Brazil & Africa: fighting poverty and empowering women via South–South Cooperation’
• Publication of the Progress Report on the implementation of Outcome 2 of the project ‘Brazil & Africa: fighting poverty and empowering women via South–South Cooperation’
See the publications below.